From: William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com [mailto:William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com]
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 2:20 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ACI - Z cracking

I believe that ACI 318 replaced the z-factor in the 1999 code.  There is still a requirement related to spacing of bars to control cracking, but it is less stringent and is based on aesthetics rather than durability.

The ACI 350-01 code retained the z-factor equations to control cracking for durability.  The ACI 350-06 code modified the crack control equations, replacing the z-factor equations.  The modified equations are based on research by "Frosch" rather than the previous research by "Gergely-Lutz".   The equations in ACI 350-06, Section 10.6.4, were reformatted to calculate an allowable steel stress based on bar size and spacing in lieu of the quantity 'z'.

Bill Sherman
CH2M HILL / DEN
720-286-2792