Re: Minimum footing steel

Jason and Ben, thanks, that's exactly it.

-gm

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Jason Christensen <jason(--nospam--at)wcaeng.com> wrote:

For flexure members ACI 318-10.5.3 says min. steel is not required if the As is at least 1/3 greater than required.  I would assume the footing is being treated as a flexural member therefore it would be ok.  Not sure if this section has been removed by IBC.

Jason

From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 4:55 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Minimum footing steel

In the UBC, you could avoid minimum steel in footings if you provided 1/3rd more than required for strength.

In the new code, I think that's been stricken and you must at least comply with temp steel requirements but not per ACI 318 section 10.5.4 & You do not have to meet ACD 10.5.1 for min flex steel.

Is that the case? It's been a while since I went diving thru an ACI (college) so maybe I'm missing something.

TIA
-gm