RE: CMU Spec

To clarify, ACI 530 is the code...ACI 530.1 is the specification.  Both are
in the same physical publication.  I agree that you should get the 2005 MSJC
(that is the "book" that contains the masonry code [ACI 530], its
commentary, the specification [ACI 530.1], and its commentary)...it is what
the 2006 IBC references for masonry design.  If you want a publication to
help understand the MSJC, then the 5th edition of the Masonry Designer's
Guide is a VERY good choice.  It is basically a "guide" that is written by
several people heavily involved with the creation of the MSJC (Masonry
code).

Brick is NOT ASTM C90.  ASTM C90 has ZERO to do with clay brick.  The
typical spec is ASTM C216 for most clay brick, but it depends on the type of
brick (solid or with cores, etc).  And not all CMU is ASTM C90.  The most
common, standard CMU is ASTM C90, but it again depends on the type of CMU.
Mortar is ASTM C270, but whether it is type S or M or N will depend on use
of the masonry (i.e. whether primarily axial load or flexural load, above or
below grade, etc).  Grout is ASTM C476, but the decision on Fine vs Course
grount largely depends on size of CMU and rebar and space between them and
fill heights.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI