Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: CBC Ch 17

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Many of the inspections in 1707 can be performed by the same inspectors that deal with non-seismic work.  For example a welding inspector can perform the welding inspections called for by AISC 341.  If the documents clearly define the elements of the lateral system needing this enhanced inspection the inspector may not need any special training.
In some cases there are no certifications availible for new inspections.  In particular this is the case for structural wood and Cold formed steel framing.  In these cases you may need to work with the testing agency to define what you want.  Many jurisdictions will accept the structural engineer for the project as the special inspector for structural wood.
Many of the testing agencies are developing their own approaches when no certifications are availible.  In these cases you may need to understand what they are doing.  
Inspecting the anchorage of MEP equipment may simply require somebody capable of inspecting post-installed anchor.
Given that many building departments have been ignoring the changes in special inspection you may find that they will give you no problem.  My impression is that the building departments are more flexible when there  are no certifications.  The problem comes when you have a building official/inspector who tries to impose his personal preferences.  
Mark Gilligan

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********