From: Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 22:12:06 -0400
Subject: CBC Ch 17
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Another Ch 17 question

Section 1705 we list out the type and extend of special inspections and testing required.
Section 1705.3 & .4 List the specific areas to be inspected.

Section 1707 indicates to the "Special Inspector" areas of seismic concerns
Section 1708 indicates to the "Special Inspector" areas of seismic testing concerns

Section 1709 deals with Structural Observation for Seismic & Wind by SER or us you could say.

So who gets hired to complete Sections 1707 & 8 ? Most ICBO/ ICC certified special inspectors may be qualified for material inspections but not for seismic or wind systems.

The building official approves these special inspectors but some of them are not qualified either.  How have some of you began to deal with this here in California and beyond ?

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA