Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 09:58
Subject: Concrete Assessment after Fire

I'm working with a client whose home recently caught fire.  A good
part of the structure is still intact, though badly burned.  There's a
stairway in the home that is built of tube steel with concrete treads.
 The fire got so hot that the weight of the treads caused the tube
steel to bend down significantly.

The client is discussing the way forward with his insurance company
and one question he has is about the integrity of the existing slab
foundation.  The house was built in the 60's, so it's unclear what
sort of reinforcement is in the slab.  From the top, there's no visual
clues as to the condition.  It's black in places, but seems intact.

So here's my questions:

- Are there some good resources out there where I can learn about
concrete performance after a fire?
- Does anyone know of a company in Northern California (the home is in
Davis) that can do post-fire concrete assessment?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org