Wind vs. Seismic Research for future job growth

Hello all,

I am a masters-level student at a growing Southeastern state school that has a rapidly expanding wind research program (primarily hurricane, but also wind in general). I intend to pursue my PhD, but really envision myself living on the west coast for the long term. Considering my interests are mainly tall buildings and perhaps ultimately academia, would it make more sense to move west ASAP, or to continue study here with research into aeroelasticity / dynamic aspects of structures?

The main reason I ask is that my thesis advisor (whom is trying to keep me here to study with him) keeps saying to me that almost all major structural firms have at least one engineer who has a wind-based background to help with structural aspects of tall buildings--I want some outside perspective on this, especially from those on the west coast!

Many thanks,

--
Michael Stone
786-897-9041