Re: Concrete Filled HSS Section

Joe,

Sounds kind of hokey to me.  If possible I would try to make a more direct connection such as putting a baseplate with anchor bolts at the bottom of the HSS section.  With your proposed detail you would need to embed the rebar such that the stresses in the concrete end up less than it's tensile strength and also greater than the bond strength between the concrete and the inside walls of the HSS section.  If this is a very large HSS section then you might want to put some welded studs on the inside.  As a side note, if this requires a fire rating, you may need to put some holes along the length of the HSS and may also need to consider a fiber enriched concrete mix.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Joseph R. Grill" <jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net>
05/28/2008 06:43 AM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Concrete Filled HSS Section

I’m looking at a proposed design where an HSS section is filled with concrete.  At the center of the concrete section a length of rebar will be placed for the height of the section.  One end of the filled HSS section will have to transfer moment from the filled section into a concrete base.  The idea, I’m guessing is that the rebar in the center of the HSS section, (which extends into the concrete base) will transfer the required moment into the concrete base.  I guess it is possible, however, I have a question. The rebar, that extends into the filled HSS will be in tension.  What embedment length into the column will be required.  I think it would be the standard tension development length, but what length of concrete fill would be required to bond the concrete fill to the HSS section.  I’ve looked at the AISC specs for this type of member, but I don’t see any mention of this.

Thanks,
Joe