From: Joseph R. Grill [mailto:jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Concrete Filled HSS Section

I’m looking at a proposed design where an HSS section is filled with concrete.  At the center of the concrete section a length of rebar will be placed for the height of the section.  One end of the filled HSS section will have to transfer moment from the filled section into a concrete base.  The idea, I’m guessing is that the rebar in the center of the HSS section, (which extends into the concrete base) will transfer the required moment into the concrete base.  I guess it is possible, however, I have a question. The rebar, that extends into the filled HSS will be in tension.  What embedment length into the column will be required.  I think it would be the standard tension development length, but what length of concrete fill would be required to bond the concrete fill to the HSS section.  I’ve looked at the AISC specs for this type of member, but I don’t see any mention of this.

Thanks,

Joe