From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:20 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Concrete Filled HSS Section

Why going to all that effort?  What not just design the base plate appropriately for the moment and the anchor rods to properly handle the moment at the base of the HSS like you would typically do for a rotationally resistent base at the base of a steel moment frame?  You are more than likely going to get a better moment connection/rotational resistance than what you are talking about.  Frankly, what you describe does not give me too many "warm fuzzies".  Even beyond the bond issue, you are not going to get much moment capacity as your moment arm for a rebar in the center of the concrete will not be that great, unless you have a rather massive HSS section.

Regards,

Scott

Adrian, MI