Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Joseph R. Grill" <jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net>
05/28/2008 09:03 AM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: Concrete Filled HSS Section

It’s not a situation where a base plate can be used.  It is a vertical HSS section embedded in a concrete trench.  The HSS section does not extend to the bottom of the trench, therefore there is still a moment component to be transferred at the bottom of the HSS section into the remaining concrete section (trench) which is below the HSS section.  The HSS will be filled with concrete and a length of reinforcing placed in the concrete within the HSS section.  I agree there are no “warm and fuzzies”, and don’t really agree with this solution.  I am just reviewing possibilities at this time and making comments.
Joe

From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent:
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:37 AM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Re: Concrete Filled HSS Section

I second these comments...

-gm

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 7:19 AM, Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu> wrote:
Why going to all that effort?  What not just design the base plate appropriately for the moment and the anchor rods to properly handle the moment at the base of the HSS like you would typically do for a rotationally resistent base at the base of a steel moment frame?  You are more than likely going to get a better moment connection/rotational resistance than what you are talking about.  Frankly, what you describe does not give me too many "warm fuzzies".  Even beyond the bond issue, you are not going to get much moment capacity as your moment arm for a rebar in the center of the concrete will not be that great, unless you have a rather massive HSS section.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI