From: jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Concrete Filled HSS Section
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 09:03:24 -0700

It’s not a situation where a base plate can be used.  It is a vertical HSS section embedded in a concrete trench.  The HSS section does not extend to the bottom of the trench, therefore there is still a moment component to be transferred at the bottom of the HSS section into the remaining concrete section (trench) which is below the HSS section.  The HSS will be filled with concrete and a length of reinforcing placed in the concrete within the HSS section.  I agree there are no “warm and fuzzies”, and don’t really agree with this solution.  I am just reviewing possibilities at this time and making comments.

Joe