Re: Utility Poles for Electric Power Distribution

Depends on what poles you are talking about.
The simple wooden poles many of us have in out back yards, and some of the small metal ones, are basically prescriptive and are the responsibility of the utility that owns them.  Few requirements, unless mandated by the local juristiction.
Anything much beyond that is pretty much specialized.  Several companies do nothing but design and manufacture monopoles up to the huge truss structures.  The loads on them are fairly complex, too, and there is a (or maybe several) standard program for analyzing the loads.
So, unless specifically requested, it usually falls outside of the SE's purview.  Often the SE does the foundation, though.

>>> On 6/2/2008 at 1:41 PM, Mark Johnson <markajohn(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Got my doubts as to whether they actually are
designed.

MJ

Microsoft.<http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?source=EML_WL_ GreaterGood>

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp