Re: BIM

            Casey,

                        We’ve done about eight projects with Tekla.

                        Gerard is correct in that it may take a while to develop templates for drawings that show everything you want as the engineer and everything the GC (architect, subcontractors, other designers) wants to see, too.

                        Our experience is that it is a much more difficult move than from the drafting board to AutoCAD, so I’d like to know what Ashwin and Jacobs are doing right that we’re not. It may be partly that we are trying to produce erection drawings and fabrication drawings from the model and each presents its own challenges. Further, when the model has all the concrete reinforcing and connection information, it is huge. The good thing is that it is a concurrent multi-user system. Many people can be working on the same model at the same time, and when it saves, it flags conflicts in their changes. It is a very powerful program – you probably all know how that works: it makes it so the team can do anything, but it is hard to learn how to do everything because there’s so much to learn.

            HTH,

            Jim Getaz

            Precast Concrete Engineer