Seismic loads using ASCE 7

Happy Friday, everyone!

One of the things that we are sort of struggling with here (old “zone 3” country) is that we are finding seismic loads via ASCE 7 wind up being less (sometimes uncomfortably) than what we used to calculate using the 1997 UBC.  As a result, we’ve sort of adopted our own internal “company minimum seismic coefficient” that we are comfortable with.  Are most people discovering the same thing and what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Dave K. Adams, S.E., P.Eng.
LANE ENGINEERS, INC.
979 N. Blackstone Street

P.O. Box 1059
Tulare, CA  93275

Direct Line:  (559) 688-5263

Direct FAX:  (559) 688-8388

E-Mail: davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com

Web: www.training4engineers.com