RE: Seismic loads using ASCE 7

Dave,

Being in the same seismic country as you, yes, we are finding that our seismic load levels have decreased in general.  However, due to the relatively arbitrary nature of the old “zone” method, our structural team is not uncomfortable using the new lower values.  Also keep in mind that some lateral systems have greater detailing requirements than previous codes (depending on your SDC), thus increasing your “R” value and decreasing the seismic force level.

HTH,

Doug Mayer, SE

Structural Engineer

TaylorTeter