Re: structural observation

My understanding of structural observations is that you are going to
confirm substantial conformance with the design intent.  I try to be
clear in my communication that I'm not a building inspector, nor am I
taking the place of them.  I'm there to go through the site and see if
I see anything that is different than what we designed.  To me,
lateral detailing is the most important thing to check since that is
the least understood by builders and the most often overlooked by
inspectors.

Ultimately though, confirming that the job conforms to code and to the
plans is the job of the contractor and the inspector.

Hope that helps.

Chris