RE: 30" wide catwalk

Section 3103.8 of IBC 2006 for Special Construction says unobstructed width not less than 36”.

24”, 30” and 36” seem to be the industry standard.

If this is a mine, I would check the CFR, company standards, or other texts for related information.  In my opinion, I like 36” and I don’t like going less.  It’s been a while since I did a design, so I would have to go digging in books that I don’t have with me right now.

Sincerely,

David Maynard, PE

Wester-Wetstein & Associates, Inc.

201 Lakeway Rd. Suite 1000