Re: 30" wide catwalk

Julius,

I am not sure if this helps, but if your catwalk is considered an "exit" then OSHA would require a minimum of 28 inches.  The IBC has a number of provisions for corridors, passageways, etc. but I do not know where your catwalk would be classified, if at all.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

IBC

1017.2 Corridor width.
The minimum corridor width shall be as determined in Section 1005.1 , but not less than 44 inches (1118 mm).
Exceptions:
1.     Twenty-four inches (610 mm)—For access to and utilization of electrical, mechanical or plumbing systems or equipment.
2.     Thirty-six inches (914 mm)—With a required occupant capacity of less than 50.
3.     Thirty-six inches (914 mm)—Within a dwelling unit.
4.     Seventy-two inches (1829 mm)—In Group E with a corridor having a required capacity of 100 or more.
5.     Seventy-two inches (1829 mm)—In corridors serving surgical Group I, health care centers for ambulatory patients receiving outpatient medical care, which causes the patient to be not capable of self-preservation.
6.     Ninety-six inches (2438 mm)—In Group I-2 in areas where required for bed movement.

1021.2 Width.
The width of exit passageways shall be determined as specified in Section 1005.1 but such width shall not be less than 44 inches (1118 mm), except that exit passageways serving an occupant load of less than 50 shall not be less than 36 inches (914 mm) in width.

OSHA
1910.36(g)(2)
An exit access must be at least 28 inches (71.1 cm) wide at all points. Where there is only one exit access leading to an exit or exit discharge, the width of the exit and exit discharge must be at least equal to the width of the exit access.

"Micayas, Julius" <jmicayas(--nospam--at)riverconsulting.com>
06/09/2008 12:31 PM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
30" wide catwalk

Can anyone confirm that the minimum width of catwalk used in heavy industrial (i.e. for Bulk/Material handling conveyor system) has been changed from 24” to 30” wide? One of our independent checkers made comments regarding this change.

I checked with IBC 2000, 2003 and 2006 nothing mentioned about the change.

Thanks,

Julius

Engr. Julius Micayas
P.E. license no.32969
Project Manager/Sr Lead Structural Engineer
River Consulting LLC
111 Veterans Memorial Boulevard
               Suite 1600
Metairie, Louisiana 70005
Phone - 504-841-3014 (direct)
504 837-5275 (office)
Fax - 504-837-2986
E-mail: jmicayas(--nospam--at)riverconsulting.com
W-page:            www.riverconsulting.com