Re: 30" wide catwalk

Julius,
I would agree that the catwalk that you are working on can be 24" wide if it is considered access for maintenance of the conveying equipment.  Essentially, you should be able to argue that the expected occupant load is no more than maybe two "workers" along the length of catwalk.  And, it's an industrial facility so I strongly doubt that this catwalk is to be ADA compliant.  Good luck.

Can anyone confirm that the minimum width of catwalk used in heavy industrial (i.e. for Bulk/Material handling conveyor system) has been changed from 24" to 30" wide? One of our independent checkers made comments regarding this change.

I checked with IBC 2000, 2003 and 2006 nothing mentioned about the change.

Thanks,

Julius

Engr. Julius Micayas
P.E. license no.32969
Project Manager/Sr Lead Structural Engineer
River Consulting LLC
111 Veterans Memorial Boulevard
               Suite 1600
Metairie, Louisiana 70005
Phone - 504-841-3014 (direct)
504 837-5275 (office)
Fax - 504-837-2986
E-mail: jmicayas(--nospam--at)riverconsulting.com
W-page:            www.riverconsulting.com

--
David Topete, SE