A little help, please!

I'm a bit confused. Could someone clarify this for me, please.

The IBC Section 2305.2.1 states: "Wood diaphragms are permitted to be used to resist horizontal forces
 provided the deflection in the plane of the diaphragm, as determined by calculations..., does not exceed the permissible deflection of attached distributing or resisting elements..."

But the ASCE Section 12.3.1.3 Calculated Flexible Diaphragm Condition, states: "Diaphragms...are permitted to be idealized as flexible where the computed maximum in-plane deflection..is more than 2 times the average story drift of adjoining vertical elements of the seismic force-resisting system..."

Are these contradictory requirements or am I reading them wrong?

S.Macie. P.E.
SLO, CA

Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.