moment frame achorage

Sirs:

I am designing anchorage for a fixed moment frame base.
"Years ago" I was taught to place the bottom of the anchor bolts at the
bottom of a grade beam.  The footing was deepened in this area to provide
coverage.  Plate washers were placed on each bolt.  The plate washers were
analyzed like a base plate: big enough to provide adequate bearing, thick
enough for flexure and placed deep enough to accommodate punching shear and
one way bending shear in the grade beam.

Now there is Appendix D and its coverage requirements.  With its assumed
failure plane, it seems that it would take a 9 foot square x 3 foot thick
piece of concrete just to fully anchor a single 3 foot deep anchor bolt.
There are reductions for being "near the edge", but they are rather severe.
Is this true? (this analysis does ignore the down load from the compression
side of the column).  How do others determine this anchorage?  Is there a
good recent example?

Thanks again, in advance, for any of your thoughts.

Joseph Eribarne
661-392-1124
jeribarne(--nospam--at)bak.rr.com