RE: moment frame achorage

The secret to dealing with Appendix D is to realize that the provisions were developed to deal with anchors in essentially unreinforced concrete.  This is not the case with a grade beam.
Think of the connection as a D region that is resolved using a system of struts and ties.  The tension in the anchor rods is a tie that is resolved by one or more struts that in turn engage the stirrups in the grade beam.
I believe that the ACI 318-08 implicitly recognizes this approach.
Regarding the plates at the bottom of the anchor rod.  They should be sized so that relatively little force is transfered by bending in the plates.  The forces want to be resolved close to the rod.
Mark Gilligan