Re: How are Subscription Costs for Engineering Software and CAD affecting your bottom line?

OK Dennis, I'll take this one on.  I'm fairly passionate about
software and your message has been rattling around in my head since I
read it yesterday.

While those prices don't sound horrible to me, I can certainly see
where slow times like these put pressure on to reduce costs wherever
possible.  We don't use TEDDS, but it seems to me like $150 software
could pay for itself fairly quickly, assuming you have enough work to
keep you busy.  Your time is worth a lot.   At $350, it has a lot more
work to do to be worth it's price tag.

Of course, if the work isn't coming in, then you can "afford" to spend
more time, and less money to get each job done.

Other than CAD and Enercalc, all of the software we use is custom
scripts that I've written to automate our calculations.  Those use
Excel (which is a one time purchase and fairly necessary, though
OpenOffice would work as well) and Perl, which is free.  The nice
thing is that if we want to add an additional calc, or change the way
we do things, all I have to do is change my script.

I've looked into competitors to AutoCAD and while there's a few out
there, it seems like they all have a long way to go.  Some run on
Linux, and after just spending two days de-virusing a couple of our
workstations, it's tempting to make the switch, but the lack of
AutoCAD pretty well shuts that door.

Not sure if I've answered any of your questions, or just rambled.  My
$0.02 at any rate.

Chris

Chris Slater, PE
JDWylie Engineering, Inc