Re: Seismic loads using ASCE 7

In a message dated 6/6/2008 9:41:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time, davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com writes:

One of the things that we are sort of struggling with here (old “zone 3” country) is that we are finding seismic loads via ASCE 7 wind up being less (sometimes uncomfortably) than what we used to calculate using the 1997 UBC.  As a result, we’ve sort of adopted our own internal “company minimum seismic coefficient” that we are comfortable with.  Are most people discovering the same thing and what are your thoughts?

You are not the only ones to find out lower values with the new code (smile).
Antonio S. Luisoni
Consulting SE
Granada Hills, CA

Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.