From: Showalter, Buddy [mailto:Buddy_Showalter(--nospam--at)afandpa.org] On Behalf Of AWC
Info
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:18 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Separation of wood from slabs in the CBC?

There's a new section added in the 2007 Supplement to the 2006 IBC as
follows:
2304.11.2.5 Wood siding. Clearance between wood siding and earth on the
exterior of a building shall not be less than 6 inches (152 mm) or less than
2 inches (51 mm) vertical from concrete steps, porch slabs, patio slabs, and
similar horizontal surfaces exposed to the weather except where siding,
sheathing, and wall framing are of naturally durable or preservative-treated
wood.

Although I think the section number should be 2304.11.2.6 to be consistent
with the current code.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The American Wood Council (AWC) is the wood products division of the
American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA). AWC develops internationally
recognized standards for wood design and construction.
Its efforts with building codes and standards, engineering and research, and
technology transfer ensure proper application for engineered and traditional
wood products.
The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA
standard. Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a
formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.