Concrete Masonry Arch

I’m looking for detailing tips and insight in concrete masonry arch construction.  I have a project where the architect has shown several masonry arches.  The wall construction is 8” CMU and a brick veneer.  I have seen many brick arches built but I have never seen a concrete masonry wall arch built.  I have some opening in the 15 feet span range.

I have NCMA TEK 14-14 which states the arch should be made of solid CMU or the CMU should be grouted solid.  I see the steps to construct the arch as being:

1.       Install arch form

2.       Create the first row of the arch using brick, either clay or concrete.  The architect will determine that.

3.       Build the brick veneer arch as a typical brick arch.

4.       Build the CMU backup arch using cut block.  I would assume hollow block.

5.       Grout the arch solid up to the crown height

6.       Put in a bond beam course directly above the crown.

7.       Build the wall above the arch as a typical wall.

I’m wondering if I should put some steel bars in that follow the arch curve, directly above the first row of bricks.  I know this area is in compression so I don’t see much use of the steel.  I’m also wondering if I should have some vertical steel in the arched section of wall, between the bond beam and the first row, above the spring line.

I open to suggestions for detailing CMU arches.

Thanks.

Rich