From: Acharya, Suresh [mailto:Suresh.Acharya(--nospam--at)ci.concord.ca.us]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 11:13 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Wood / lightframe shear walls without shear walls

Hi Dr Astaneh,

I got your email address from one of your postings on Seaint list server.

The reason I am writing to you is to inquire about thoughts on wood shear
walls installed without holdowns - particularly regarding preventing
splitting of sill plates and distribution of shear along the bottom of shear
walls if the wall tend to rotate. I believe all the tests in the past were
done with holdowns on both ends of shear walls. Many engineers routinely do
not specify holdowns for shear walls when calculated overturning moments due
to dead loads are shown to exceeds the overturning moments due to lateral
forces. However, many times the calculated resisting moments are
unrealistically high.

Suresh Acharya, S.E.
Building Plans Engineer

City of Concord