Re: AC Piles vs Drilled piers.

Jerry,

I completed an industrial project last year that had approximately 2000 augercast piles.  We had a combination of 16 inch diameter piles for all the light and medium loaded structures and 24 inch diameter for the very large structures (note that this was a very high seismic area).  The 16 inch piles went down about 50 to 60 feet and the 24 inch piles to about 80 feet.  Depending on your depth and soil conditions I believe 24 inch diameter is probably at the upper end without requiring very special drill rigs.  It is all about the torque required to drill the hole.  12 inch piles are probably doable however installing the rebar could be a problem and with a 3 inch or so cover not much of a design "d" distance to work with.  The big player here in the States for augercast piles is Berkel.  I would suggest giving them a call.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Jerry Coombs" <JCoombs(--nospam--at)carollo.com>
07/08/2008 05:52 AM
Please respond to seaint
"SEA ListServe" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
AC Piles vs Drilled piers.

Hello All.  This is a general question.
Does anyone have a feel for favored diameters for Auger Cast Piles, as well as typical largest/ smallest to consider?
Also, in general, at what depths do the AC Piles become preferred over drilled piers?
I know that there are other items to consider in the decision, but from an "all things being equal" perspective.  Seismic will not play a role.
Thanks