RE: Elevation requirements in ASCE 24-05

Nam,
The ASCE 24-05 was written primarily for structures with regard to human occupancy as opposed to industrial structures.  And what you are describing is an industrial structure.  I don't think that section 1.5.2 would apply to an industrial structure.  Section 4.4 may be more applicable.

Taking the ASCE 24-05 at face value would infer that you have a Category II structure that should have the lowest level at the BFE.  In the US, we have DFE's defined.  I don't know if the DFE is defined in Vietnam.  A hydrologist can calculate the BFE.

As this is an industrial structure, I would pose the question as to the effect a given flood would have.  There are elements of a coal-fired power plant that could flood with minimal effect and could be constructed below the BFE.  There are other elements in a power plant that should be elevated above the BFE because of the adverse consequences.  I definately would not want the turbines, or any critical equipment to be below the BFE.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

> Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 11:25:57 +0700
> From: nnamtrung(--nospam--at)gmail.com
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Elevation requirements in ASCE 24-05
> CC: namtrung.xd(--nospam--at)pecc3.netnam.vn
>
> Dear all,
> We are designing landfill for a coal-fired thermal power plant located
> along a large river.
> I would be very appreciate if someone can instruct me requirements
> for elevation in clause 1.5.2 and 4.4 of ASCE 24-05 "Flood resistant
> design and construction".
> Thank you in advance, and kind regards,
> Nam Trung,
> PECC3, Vietnam.

> *
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org

Need to know now? Get instant answers with Windows Live Messenger. IM on your terms.