RE: AC Piles vs Drilled piers.

Yes.  Among other things, the DFI defines the generally accepted testing, tolerance, and acceptance criteria.

Testing can open a whole other can of worms if your specification is not written very tightly.  I would consult Larry Olson to cover that aspect.
http://olsonengineering.com

Regards,
Harold Sprague