Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
RE: Wood / lightframe shear walls without shear walls[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: RE: Wood / lightframe shear walls without shear walls
- From: "Acharya, Suresh" <Suresh.Acharya(--nospam--at)ci.concord.ca.us>
- Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 11:02:47 -0700
SHM & erik_g,
Thanks for the input, but I was expecting discussion on minimizing non-ductile mode of failure due to splitting of sill plates which, if happens, would not qualify for R=6.5 (no yielding of nails here). CUREE-Caltech tests have shown much better performance of sill plates when holdowns were present. Rocking of wood shear walls are not welcome unlike concrete or CMU shear walls.
Regarding dead loads, tributary widths for resisting forces and seismic forces may not be necessarily same, but roof and ceiling dead loads are mostly lumped together in calculations. For example, ceiling joists and rafters spanning in different directions, or ceiling joists/rafters being supported by interior walls which are not shear walls, or due to presence of ceiling beams/ purlins/king posts etc.
Suresh Acharya, S.E.
From: ECVAl3(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:ECVAl3(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: Wood / lightframe shear walls without shear walls
Since the lateral force is derived from the dead load, if you reduce the dead load resisting moment for a more realistic dead load, you should also be able to reduce the lateral force overturning moment by the same percentage. It's a wash unless you completely negate the dead load resisting moment altogether!
In a message dated 7/7/2008 9:10:29 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, erik_g(--nospam--at)cox.net writes:
". However, many times the calculated resisting moments are
Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.
- Prev by Subject: Re: Wood / lightframe shear walls without shear walls
- Next by Subject: Re: Wood / lightframe shear walls without shear walls
- Previous by thread: Re: Wood / lightframe shear walls without shear walls
- Next by thread: Re: Wood / lightframe shear walls without shear walls