Re: Wood / lightframe shear walls without shear walls

I see your point. If it is a nailed sill plate to the floor, I think the rocking of the shear wall would result mostly as partial plate nailing withdrawal (or are you referring to splitting along the edge at the shear ply nailing?). Splitting of the plate would be more likely with anchor bolts. Doesn't the requirement of the large square washers help in that case? Maybe a minimum requirement for the nailed plate to have a light strap or a plate at each end of the wall attaching to the rim joist would help.
SHM