Fibers in Composite Slab

Does anybody out there have any experience with using fiber reinforcement in an elevated composite slab?  We’ve got a project that has come in way over budget, and the contractor has suggested that we could save some money by taking out the welded wire fabric and just using fibers.  Given the situation, we’d like to entertain the thought, but none of us here have done it, so we don’t have any comfort level with it and aren’t particularly thrilled to have this $100 million project as the test case.

If you’ve tried this, did you use synthetic fibers, steel fibers, or a mixture?  How were the results?  Were there finishing problems?  Cracking?  If we go with fiber, we’re planning on keeping rebar over the girders to control cracking in the negative moment region – would you agree that this is good practice?  Any other considerations?

Thanks.

-- Joel

Joel Adair   PE
Structural Engineer

SHW
GROUP
P 214.473.2400 Dallas
D 214.473.2528
F 214.473.2529
shwgroup.com

NOTICE:
This e-mail transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of any of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the above address and delete it from your computer system; you should not copy the message or disclose its contents to anyone. The content of the message and or attachments may not reflect the view and opinions of the originating company or any party it is representing.