RE: steel coupons

To be an "official" coupon test is a very large piece of steel per ASTM A 370.  It can be reduced in size.  I am away from the office so I do not have the exact sizes of the samples at hand, but I had to do the same thing on a project on the end of the Aleutian chain.

You will need to get a good welder and a good inspector because after you remove the sample, you will have to weld in a repair patch (use 50 ksi steel).  Use a CJP weld for the patch.  Grind the weld flush, use ultrasonic testing to verify the CJP.

I would suggest a double sided weld.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:28:24 -0800
> From: dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: steel coupons
>
> We have a project where we need to verify the yield stress of a steel
> moment frame for a premanufactured building. How big of a plate should
> be taken? Is there any available guidelines other than to take it from
> the web?

> *
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org

The i’m Talkaton. Can 30-days of conversation change the world? Find out now.