RE: PIle Cap Connection

Two approaches come to mind:

1.  Use the development length as required by the prestressed concrete manual
2.  Use a monostrand anchor as used in the post-tensioned concrete world.  You can go bonded or unbonded.  For bonded, you could use a piece of bonded duct, cast the cap, post tension the strand, and inject the space to create a bonded prestressed strand.  That would maintain a preload in the entire length of the strand into the cap and provide a positive anchor.  ...best of both worlds.  This is pretty common for post-tensioned bridges and parking structures.  Look at Dywidag or VSL web sites.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:40:35 -0700
> From: arshadvali(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
> Subject: PIle Cap Connection
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>
> Hello All,
>
> I have a unique situation where the piles could not be driven to it's full length and therefore had to be cut short. The Rebars at the top of the pile that would have been been used to develop the tension from the pile to the pile cap were lost in this process.
>
> My question is can I use the strands that were exposed from the pile to develop the tension into the pile cap? If so, what percentage of 270 ksi can I use for the tension capacity calculation? I would like to avoid drilling into the pile and epoxing rebar. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you so kindly in advance.
>
> Arshad

> *
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org

Need to know now? Get instant answers with Windows Live Messenger. IM on your terms.