From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 6:47 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Re-entrant Corner Question

I would say that you care about the re-entrant corners of the diaphragms.  If it is a one story building and the roof is rectangular even thought the outline of the buidling is L shaped or U shaped, then I would not consider it a plan irregularity typically.  If it is a multiple story building and the only the roof is rectangular (thus "regular") but other floors (thus diaphragms) at other levels are U shaped or L shaped (i.e. irregular), then you have a plan irregularity potentially.  It will also depend on if you have flexible diaphragms or not...and where the shearwalls are relative to the whole system.  I would argue that a U shaped building with a bunch of flexible diaphragms with appropriate shearwalls at the edges of the simple, flexible diaphragm might result in you realistically having a bunch of simple, rectangular flexible diaphragm segements which could result in the ability to treat it as a regular building.  To me, it is REALLY a matter of the specifics of the particular situation.

Regards,

Scott

Adrian, MI