To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 9:16 AM
Subject: PEMB Tie Beam

Need advice again
I just finished a PEMB foundation where the thrust (13k) was taken by hairpins in a reinforced slab. The client now informs me that he can’t afford the slab and he’ll just have a dirt floor. The problem is that there will be a large boat transporter moving in this space, with design tire loads over 20k. I’m trying to make a tie beam work. When the transporter crosses the tie beam I calculate (from Roark) that it causes a tension force over half the thrust.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Irv