Re: Durability Design for Wood Buildings

Thanks, Frank.

Could you relate the weathering to the exposure conditions, west, etc?

TIA,

Ralph

In a message dated 7/12/08 12:45:57 PM, fwoeste(--nospam--at)vt.edu writes:
Recently, a peer and I were discussing the role of “good overhangs” on wood buildings to protect the windows, siding, and trim from decay.  On two sides of my house with a total of a 40” overhang from two floors (24 and 16), the window sills are in perfect condition after 20 years of service. On the other two sides with no overhang, it’s a totally different situation. This subject cannot be overemphasized in terms of the owner saving money during the lifetime of the residence.  The added cost of “good overhangs” at the time of construction should be minimal. As part of my discussion with my peer, I learned about the existence of this document:

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/schein-wood-design/

published 40-years ago by the U. S. Forest Products Laboratory. While it was written with the Northwest in mind, the concepts are valuable for the Virginia climate and most other states.

Thanks, Frank
Frank Woeste, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor Emeritus
Virginia Tech University