From: Christopher Banbury [mailto:cbanbury(--nospam--at)arkengineering.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:24 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: site accident, unsafe deck

My engineer and I had a narrow scrape today when we broke through a tread and intermediate rail while on an elevated wood deck (single family) during a site visit. We escaped serious injury but I’d like some advice as to how the owner and/or AHJ should be notified. I suspect the entire deck and stair is unsafe including the attachment to the main structure.

At the site I immediately instructed the owner to cordon the area off and I am preparing a letter as well.

I would appreciate any advice regarding language, delivery methods and procedures.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher Banbury, PE

President

Ark Engineering, Inc.

PO Box 10129, Brooksville, FL 34603

22 North Broad ST, Brooksville, FL 34601

Phone: (352) 754-2424

Fax: (352) 754-2412

www.arkengineering.net