From: Andrew Kester, P.E. [mailto:akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:41 AM
To: seaint
Subject: flat plate strengthening

Does anyone have any advice on methods of strengthening a flat plate slab with drop panels in an existing hospital? We cannot likely remove any live load except from a very limited area. It may be possible to go underneath and place steel or additional concrete. I am dealing with spans of about 26ft and 20ft.

The slab is not working in negative bending at a column strip over the column (not enough top bars), punching shear is not a problem. It would work if there was more rebar in the slab initially... The building was built in 1960, we do have some of the original drawings and are working on getting additional drawings. We are adding about 9000lbs total of medical equipment to a room that works out to about 70psf, but the capacity we are getting thru calcs is about 50psf. I know that uniform load does not equal the effects of point loads, this is just the first step and quite a bit off the required capacity.

Though I have never done it before, if you could get a majority of the LL off of the slab, could you maybe cut the slab and epoxy/grout in rebar, or use carbon sheets for additional negative reinforcement? I am thinking the problem in our application would be that it would be necessary to add this outside of the room, out into the hallway...

Thanks in advance, please CC me directly.

Andrew

Andrew Kester, P.E.
Principal/Project Manager
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
1510 E. Colonial Drive, Suite 301
Orlando, FL 32803

NOTICE:
This e-mail transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of any of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the above address and delete it from your computer system; you should not copy the message or disclose its contents to anyone. The content of the message and or attachments may not reflect the view and opinions of the originating company or any party it is representing.