RE: flat plate strengthening - Fireproofing

I think I have seen the FRP guys use an intumescent paint for fireproofing.  You may want to call Quakewrap or Fiberwarp to see what they currently recommend.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
07/16/2008 01:58 PM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: flat plate strengthening

I had a similar experience on a shopping center.  We increased the LL from 40 psf to 100 psf.  We added wide flange beams at the column lines to pick up the beam load.  The slab was OK as it existed.

We anchored the beams at the columns and suspended the end of the steel beam from anchor rods to the slab above.  The beams were preloaded with load cells and hydraulic rams so that we knew how much load we were preloading into the steel beam.  We then welded in WT's between the bottom of the slab and the top of the wide flange beam that locked the preload into the beam and transmitted horizontal shear to make the beam composite.  Thus the dead load was picked up by the wide flange steel beam and the live load was then shared in the composite section.  It was then load tested.  The anticipated deflections were calculated and it performed pretty close to the calcs.

That was done in 1982.  The shopping mall is doing just fine.

I like FRP, but you have to waive fire resistance.  I am not aware of any protection on FRP to get a fire rating.  I can use a lot of different materials to protect structural steel.  And, obviously, concrete is pretty good in fire resistance.

Regards,
Harold Sprague