Software Recommendations (seismic)

Hello,

Does anybody have a good software recommendation to perform seismic design calculations per AISC 341-05 - Seismic Design Manual?

We have just adpoted IBC2006/ASCE7-05 which references to this manual when R>3 (in most cases) and for most non-building structures. Since different components and connections of the SLRS(Seismic Load resisting System) requires different factors to be applied (ie.Omega factor, expected yield), compactness check (Compact & Seismically Compact)...etc, it can get relatively complex for both designer and checker. Adding to the complexity is this book only uses LRFD, which is very different for someone that is already used to the ASD equations.

Therefore i am looking for a user friendly, well organized and accurate software that will perform this task. I know DESCON (Design Connections) now is an add-on to StaadPro. Have anyone use it before and does it do the AISC 341-05 check? I have used the DOS version in the past and it is a good software in my opinion.

As a side question, what kind of system (R Value) would you consider a piperack (non-building) with concrete piers constructed to approximately 14 ft height, and steel moment frame modules (constructed off-site and lifted in place) sitting on top of the piers with a fixed-base connection?

Thank you in advance for your kind comments.

Regards,

KP Teo
FWC-US
Foster Wheeler USA Corporation is on the move!
Effective July 7, 2008, Foster Wheeler USA Corporation will have a new address:
585 N. Dairy Ashford
Houston, TX 77079
713-929-5000
Please make note of the new information for your records.