From: Dennis Wish [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 9:48 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: 25% of Live Load added to Lateral

Scott,

Considering this is a lateral load, then my read on it (and maybe this is the same as yours but worded differently) is that you add the 25% of the Storage load only to the 4th floor. My interpretation of what you stated is that you would isolate the area of the room and then add 25% of the storage load for this one area distributed uniformly across the 4th floor. This would greatly reduce the lateral load if the roof is a storage closet for example.

The other half of the argument is that the building department would not be able to control a portion of one level but would assume that the entire level could be used for storage if the user expands the area required.

I have a feeling that we are agreeing on this one. I have already made the change and have allowed for a percentage of the storage load to be added into the roof where the attic area is used for storage. I think this should be left to the discretion of the user.

Thanks for getting back to me. I have posted another question that is probably applicable in your area of Michigan but comes into play only in a smaller area of the California – Snow loads per ASCE 7 section 12.14.8.1. Please see this post which asks for clarification.

Thanks

Dennis