From: Dennis Wish [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 9:56 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: ASCE 7-05 Section 12.14.8.1 (#4) clarification needed

I need an interpretation to note number 4 of ASCE 7-05 Section 12.14.8.1 which states:

“Where the flat roof snow load, Pf, exceeds 30 psf (1.44 kN/m^2), 20 percent of the uniform design snow load, regardless of actual roof slope.”

This seems to conflict with itself. My first interpretation is that if the snow load for a flat roof (say ¼” in 1-foot) slope or a shed roof exceeds 30 psf then you would add 20% or 6 psf to the roof dead load. However, the last section of the statement reads “regardless of actual roof slope” in which case I would interpret the 20% of the Snow Load exceeding 30-psf to be added to any sloped roof.

How do others interpret this statement. If the roof is flat should 20% of any Snow Load be considered whereas only 20% of the Snow load exceeding 30-psf be used if the roof is pitched?

Dennis S. Wish, PE

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant