Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On 7/20/08 3:13 PM, "Dennis Wish" <dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net> wrote:

Scott,
This provision in Section 12.14 refers to compliance with a flexible diaphragm design (Simplified Alternative Method). In this case I would have to disagree with you unless I have additional verification. The reason goes back to my original argument – there is no way to assure compliance with the posted load in a building conforming to a Bearing Wall or Building Frame System. Therefore, the building official would classify the entire level as having to comply with the occupancy classification (light storage or heavy storage).

If this were a rigid analysis I might tend to agree, but even still, the center of mass would change if the occupant decides to expand the area used for storage. It is safer to assume the more conservative lateral load applied to the entire diaphragm at that level than to try and restrict it when there is not means in place (other than placard) to restrict compliance to the load restriction.

Any thoughts from others to help settle this. The basic assumption for the use of this section is allow for flexible diaphragm use on a 3-story or less light-frame bearing wall or building frame structure.

Thanks
Dennis

From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2008 7:02 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: 25% of Live Load added to Lateral

Yes, the 25% would only apply to the location where the storage is located...if that is one small room on the 4th floor, then that is the only area that gets the 25% of live load added to the seismic mass.  This generally will mean that it would more effect it on the full level, but when determining center of mass relative to center of rigidity (for rigid diaphragm calcs), then having it added at its real location would also matter.

Regards,

Scott

Adrian, MI