*From:* Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
*Sent:* Sunday, July 20, 2008 7:06 AM
*To:* seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
*Subject:* RE: ASCE 7-05 Section 12.14.8.1 (#4) clarification needed

I interpret this as if the flat roof snow load (Psubf) exceeds 30 psf, then you take 20% of the FLAT roof snow load (Psubf) and add that to the seismic mass. You do NOT take 20% of the SLOPED roof snow load (Psubs)...that is the "regardless of actual roof slope" part. And you do NOT take 20% of the portion that exceeds 30 psf.

Thus, if you have a 40 psf flat roof snow load and a 12:12 roof pitch on a non-slippery roof such that the sloped roof snow load is 24 psf, then you would add 8 psf (20% of 40 psf) to the seismic mass...NOT 4.8 psf (20% of 24 psf).

Regards,

Scott

Adrian, MI