From: Drew Morris [mailto:dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com]
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 1:30 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: knife plate in glulams

Jason Christensen wrote:
> What are the thicknesses of the bolt and glulam and I can run our
> mathcad sheet, we can then compare.
>
> Jason

One glulam is 6 3/4" wide and the other is 5 1/8" wide.  I am using DFL
glulams with 1/4" knife plates and 3/4" diameter bolts.
I get the following values (Cd=1):

5 1/8"   parallel   3480#
            perp       1670#

6 3/4"    parallel   4080#
             perp    1800#

All these values are higher than using twice the values  in the NDS (PL1

/4" with 2 1/2" and 3" side members).