From: Jeff Smith [mailto:jeffsmith7(--nospam--at)comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 1:09 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Residential alterations, is upgrade for wind required?

I am working on a one story steep hill side residence, substantial
alterations, however no change to building envelope. Existing building is
one floor over partial lower level at down hill side. The new work is to
excavate out the lower level on the uphill side. Upper floor is almost at
grade on up hill side. I am seismically upgrading the building however it
appears that wind load will actually govern in the transverse direction
orthogonal to the site slope. From a wind standpoint we are not increasing
demand or decreasing existing capacity. The existing shear ply may not work
for wind load. Can I upgrade the building for only seismic loads? I have
never done this before.

Thanks, Jeff