RE: Soils Reports

Neil, I recall years ago a similar situation with expansive rock in an area around Stanford, but I think it was in Sharon Heights. The buildings were constructed on pier and grade beam without knowing about the expansive rock that the piers were drilled into. Later I worked on a new house on the stanford campus. It had expansive rock, and isolating the grade beams would not solve the problem because the pier itself was subject to raising even if the grade beams had a void space.

Jeff

From: Neil Moore [mailto:nma(--nospam--at)omsoft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Soils Reports

Yes, that's the kind of stuff we see here in "Cali" also.   Had one case in Woodside where there was two different types of rock running diagonally under the house with a clayey overburden.   The house was on piers but there was expansive soil above the rock and no one provided some sort of space under the grade beams or considered the drag on the sides of the piers.  Also the top of the piers had extra concrete at the top which also contributed.   Had a good investigative geotech as I had wasn't aware that some rock expands.

House was trashed by the movement but the people were still living in it - beautiful house - exclusive setting - maybe worth 7 mil.  No mold at that time.

 Neil